Main content of the website



A development permit is needed for new construction, renovations, new businesses or any time there is a change in the way land is used or the intensity of use. Obtaining a development permit provides assurance that your development is following the Land Use Bylaw. It considers the impact the development will have on surrounding properties and allows for the approval of the location, size and use of a building.

The Land Use Bylaw, adopted by County Council in accordance with the Municipal Government Act RSA 2000, c M-26, outlines the circumstances where permits are required and the process to be followed in applying for, and approval of, development permits.

A development permit may be required for, but is not limited to:

  • Constructing, renovating or expanding a building
  • Farm use buildings
  • Building or replacing a deck, garage, or shop
  • Opening, expanding or relocating a business (may include home-based business)
  • Placing temporary signage on any property or installing or replacing permanent signage
  • Removal of topsoil, excavation or stockpiling
  • Secondary Suites Building
  • Fence where a variance from the regulations is requested
  • Placing a manufactured home or modular structure on any property
  • Storing or placing of recreational vehicles
  • Establishing a campground
  • Placing a seacan(s)
  • Temporary uses or temporary buildings

Some exceptions apply. Please contact the Planning & Development Department well in advance of commencing your proposed development, as the timelines for approval are subject to regulations and legislated processes that may otherwise delay your project.

Permit application forms are available below, in person at the County Office or can be obtained by contacting Planning & Development at 780-349-3346.


  1. Determine what you want to build and verify that your land use zoning / district allows that development
  2. Get a plot plan
  3. Apply for the development permit
  4. Apply for the building permit


Construction Permits

Building Permit Application

Electrical Permit Application

Plumbing Permit Application

Gas Permit Application

Private Sewage Application


Please submit fax applications to: 1-780-349-2012