Main content of the website

Enforcement Services

Effective September 1st, 2023 there are changes the Traffic Safety Act.

See here for more details

Westlock County’s Peace Officer is appointed by Alberta Justice under the provisions of the Peace Officer Act to enforce certain Provincial statutes. To enhance this service, Westlock County has established solid working relationships with other agencies including the Town of Westlock, RCMP and Alberta Transportation.

Our Peace Officer’s objectives are to ensure public safety, protect the infrastructure of municipal roadways, recreational lands & promote traffic safety, and ensure County Bylaws are adhered to, provide animal control and handle public complaints.

Received a bylaw ticket and unsure what to do now?

If you wish to schedule a court date to contest your ticket, contact:

  • Driessen De Rudder Law Office

          5017 50 Ave., Barrhead, AB T7N 1A2

          Brant De Rudder 780-674-2276

Enforcement Services Key Contacts

Darcy DeVos

Sergeant Community Peace Officer


Email Darcy

Taylor Whiting

Community Peace Officer


Email Taylor

Emergency: 911

On Friday, November 24 from 10am to 4pm, Westlock County Enforcement Services will be partnering with Town of Westlock Enforcement Services, and Westlock RCMP to collect donations for the Westlock Food Bank, and Christmas Spirit (FCSS). Donations of non-perishable food items and toys will be collected at the Sobeys in Westlock. An Officer will be onsite with a Westlock County Peace Officer Truck to encourage shoppers to cram the cruiser full with food and toy donations.

The Food Bank and Christmas Spirit (FCSS) program help residents in Westlock County, Town of Westlock and the Village of Clyde. 

The Food Banks most needed donation items are:

  • non-perishables
  • canned fruit
  • canned vegetable's
  • canned meats (including tuna and salmon)
  • rice
  • flour
  • sugar
  • coffee
  • tea
  • shampoos
  • deodorant

Christmas Spirit's most needed donation items are:

  • gifts for teens
  • books
  • puzzles
  • games

New toy donations for all ages welcomed. Toys have to be new, not used.

All donations are welcomed and the donations collected from the Cram a Cruiser event will stay within Westlock County including in the Town of Westlock and the Village of Clyde.

If you wish to donate but are unable to make the date, we are accepting drop offs at the Westlock County office located at 10336 106ST.

Contact: Meagan Smith, Communications Coordinator, 780-307-0526.

The province under the Alberta Traffic Safety Act governs traffic laws and safety and our Peace Officer enforces these in Westlock County along with our Traffic Control and Road Protection Bylaw.

Alberta Traffic Safety Act

Traffic By-law

All overweight/over-dimensional commercial transportation on municipal roadways requires permits and are processed through Transportation Routing and Vehicle Information System (TRAVIS).

Please contact:

Transportation Engineering Office
1-800-662-7138 (ask to speak to someone about TRAVIS)
or visit;
Web address – Alberta Transportation

Permits Online – Government of Alberta Permits

Please refer to the Land Use Bylaw for any and all regulations regarding personal advertising within County ditches, right of ways and roadside.

WC Land Use Bylaw

In Alberta, an off-highway vehicle (OHV) is defined in the Traffic Safety Act as any motorized mode of transportation built for cross-country travel on land, water, snow, ice or marsh or swamp land or on other natural terrain, and without limiting the generality of the foregoing, includes, when specifically designed for such travel,

  • 4-wheel drive vehicles,
  • low pressure tire vehicles,
  • motorcycles and related 2-wheel vehicles,
  • amphibious vehicles,
  • all-terrain vehicles (ATVs),
  • utility terrain vehicles,
  • miniature motor vehicles,
  • snow vehicles,
  • minibikes, and
  • any other means of motorized transportation.

This definition includes OHVs known as side-by-sides, dirt bikes, snowmobiles, and snow bikes. Excluded are motor boats, farm machinery, and construction machinery.

Off Highway Vehicle By-law

New Helmet Requirement for Off-Highway Vehicle Riders

The Dog Control Bylaw 16-2012 is for the purpose of regulating and controlling of dogs within the boundaries of Westlock County and supports responsible pet ownership.

Westlock County’s Peace Officer investigates complaints regarding dogs at large upon receiving a written statement.

Dog Control Bylaw

If you would like to make a complaint to the Community Peace Officer, use the email link and complaint form attached and email back.

(Anonymous complaints will not be accepted nor acted upon.)

Complaint Form